There are so many tents available for us to purchase in this current day and age, but a large number of them don’t perform the way they are described to.
A lot of them are really bad quality, resulting in a bad sleep when a rainstorm passes through and leaks inside the tent, or when strong winds pull the stakes out and blow the entire tent away.
Find the best 4 person camping tent by following along. I’m sure you’ll find at least one you like 🙂
I will put a list of the best ones on the market then write down my favorite ones at the bottom of this article.
1. Coleman Carlsbad 4-Person Dome Dark Room Tent
Weight: 17 pounds
Center Height: 4 ft. 11 in.
Base Size: 9 x 7 feet
The Coleman Carlsbad 4-Person dome tent contains a screened porch and dark room technology.
You’ll be able to sleep in after the suns rises or put the kids to bed early and enjoy a beer or 2 with the adults.
The dark room blocks as much as 97.5% of the outside light and stops the sun heating the tent up during the day time – by 9.5% actually.
The screened room works incredibly well for anyone that sits and has a beer, as they will stay safe from bugs and flying insects.
And because it contains floor material in the porch room, you can use it for an extra sleeping area.
But keep in mind: it will have to be in the warmer months or when you know you won’t be expecting rain, as the rain fly doesn’t cover this part of the tent.
There are patented welded floors and inverted seams as well, making it much easier to keep the rain out.
Awnings over the windows offer great ventilation in light rain while reflective guy lines stop people tripping over them in the night.
There is enough room for a queen-sized air mattress and an included wall organizer to keep your more valuable items close at hand.
- Easy to set up even with 1 person
- Doesn’t feel like an oven during the hot, humid summer days
- Very weatherproof. It can handle strong winds and downpours
- Contains a screened porch so you can keep the bugs out
- Actually has enough room for a queen-sized air mattresses
- The unique, “dark room” feature offers amazing convenience for your camping trip
- The rain fly doesn’t cover the screened porch
- The manufacturers claim that it is 8 pounds but the real weight is 17 pounds
- Not high enough for people to stand up straight, even shorter people
- Can be a little too dark for people that enjoy natural light in their tents
2. Coleman 4-Person Evanston Tent with Screened Porch Canopy
This is another tent that contains the screened foyer.
The manufacturers say this tent is good for backpacking, but I beg to differ. It is way too heavy for backpacking but definitely a good choice for car camping.
It sleeps 4 people comfortably (with room to spare) and has no issues housing a queen-sized air mattress. This is a good choice for those of you who prefer a more comfortable sleep while you camp.
It contains a waterproof floor in the porch room, a strong frame, and a very easy setup.
- Makes a great car camping tent
- It’s easy to set up and take down
- Has a screened porch area for people to sit and relax in
- A portion of the flooring is mesh, allowing water to escape during the rain (the front room)
- Contains a third pole to give you more head room and overhang
- Does really well in tough winds and heavy rain
- The porch isn’t large enough for a full-size folding chair
- The rain fly doesn’t cover the porch area
- Not a backpacking tent like the manufacturers claim it to be
- The e-port in the screened room is large enough for rodents to climb through (really bad)
3. Mountainsmith Genesee 4 Person 3 Season Tent
Weight: 6 lbs 15 oz
Color: Lotus Blue
Center Height: 4 ft. 3 in.
Base Size: 8 x 7 feet
Mountainsmith have been going for 30 long years now, and in that time they have created a solid, highly trusted brand in the process.
The Mountainsmith Geenese 4 Person Tent has 56 sq. ft. of interior space to provide a great (and very reasonable) amount of room for small families. It is versatile and includes a removable gear loft.
The instructions are sewn right into the stuff sack for ultimate convenience.
And the best part?
The manufacturers claim that it is worth MUCH more than the current price tag, and that’s probably why it was awarded the “Top Pick” title back in 2011 for Camping Life Magazine.
It offers 2 doors, 2 vestibules, a freestanding design, a bathtub floor construction and taped seams to ensure the best protection against torrential downpours.
There are interior pockets for smaller items and a clip-pole attachment for an overall lighter tent.
- Very high quality and durable. It will likely last for many years
- Due to the weight of this tent, it is 100% viable for backpacking
- It is extremely easy to set up and take down
- The rain fly comes all the way to the ground, so there are no problems with the weatherproofing abilities
- Contains 2 vestibules and 2 doors for ultimate convenience
- Footprint protector not included
- On the heavier side of backpacking tents
- A common complaint about the stitching being poor quality
4. CORE 4 Person Instant Dome Tent
Weight: 13 lbs 5 oz
Center Height: 4 ft. 6 in.
Base Size: 9 x 7 feet
So this tent has been described as fast and easy to set up. It can be pitched in 30 seconds flat!
This is because all the poles are attached to the tent. It’s just a matter of unpacking, unfolding and extending.
The Core H20 Block Technology allows for better waterproofing capabilities and faster water runoff.
This is done by combining water repellent fabrics with active bead technology, and when you pair it with sealed seams and highly resistant doors/windows, you get an amazing 3 season tent that works wonders in heavy downpours and strong wind conditions.
The ceiling is made entirely of mesh, so you can remove the fully-taped rain fly and sleep under the stars during the summer time. The panoramic windows and ceiling give you the best views possible.
Furthermore, the manufacturers have used the adjustable air intake to give the best ventilation.
This typical system “grabs” cool air from the ground and releases hot air through the mesh roof, resulting in a comfortable tent in all 3 seasons.
A free gear loft is included, while there is a lantern hook and storage pockets to hold your more valuable items.
The windows AND doors have panels that can be zipped up to offer as much privacy as you need.
- It is an instant tent, so it can be pitched in 30 seconds
- Has awesome ventilation and provides the best temperature for the current humidity level
- More room than other 4-person tents
- Well-built with great stitching and a sturdy frame
- Less expensive than other “instant tents” out there
- Works like a charm in high winds and doesn’t leak in the rain
- The zipper sometimes gets caught on the fabric
- When you open the door, rain can run off and into the tent because the rain fly doesn’t come out far enough (however, it is still waterproof when everything is closed up)
5. Coleman 4-Person Instant Cabin
This is another “instant set-up” tent, so adventure is literally moments away.
You can unpack this tent, unfold it and extend to get it pitched. The 60 second setup provides stress-free camping. What more could you want?
It has a vented rain fly to eliminate any and all potential condensation build up, while the WeatherTec system, patented welded seams and inverted seams give the best possible protection against the rain.
There is enough room for a queen-sized airbed and 2 storage pockets for valuable items, or flashlights for the kids.
The carry bag is expandable and contains a rip strip. This tent can ACTUALLY get back into the carry bag without struggle.
- Has a n extremely sturdy frame and a heavy-duty 150D polyester taffeta fabric to make it last longer
- Does an amazing job in strong winds due to the strong and sturdy frame
- The storage pockets work great, as many people have found them useful
- Has enough room for a full-sized air mattress
- Only takes 60 seconds to set up
- A lot of users are saying it should be seam sealed since it’s not as waterproof as the manufacturers claim it to be
6. ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4 Person Tent
ALPS Lynx Tents are packed with a bunch of great features.
This one contains aluminium poles, all high quality, and a lot of mesh material, ensuring adequate air flow for minimal condensation buildup.
The freestanding design makes this tent easy and quick to set up.
All seams are factory sealed (rain fly and floor) so it’s ready to go as soon as it arrives. There’s absolutely no additional weatherproofing needed on your part.
The 2 doors and 2 vestibules give this tent more convenience for when you have 3+ people sleeping in it.
The zippers on this tent are extra-large #8, because as we all know, most zippers are low quality and end up being the very first thing to break.
You will not have that problem with the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4 Person Tent.
- Extremely waterproof. It has no problems keeping the rain out
- The fly goes all the way down to the ground, providing a vestibule area and the best protection against strong winds
- It has enough space for a queen-sized air mattress
- A viable option for backpacking if you have someone to split the weight with
- A little larger than other 4 person tents
- Really simple to set up. It can be pitched in less than 10 minutes after some practice
- A little difficult to get in and out with the rain fly on
- A couple of concerns about the tent not receiving enough ventilation when the rain fly is on
- May require a tarp to protect your investment, as the flooring material is quite thin
7. ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 4 Person Tent
Weight: 9 lbs 4 oz
Center Height: 4 ft. 3 in.
Base Size: 8.5 x 7.5
This tent is one of ALPS best-sellers.
It has a 2-pole, freestanding design and contains 2 doors and 2 vestibule areas (one over each door).
The manufacturers claim that it has has no trouble keeping you dry in a heavy downpour and easily stays standing in strong winds.
The zippers are extra-large #8. They provide hassle-free entry-and-exit, and of course, an expanded life expectancy.
Both of the doors contain large mesh windows to provide even more ventilation, and due to ADDITIONAL vents on the rain fly, you get fresh air in the tent with the rain fly still on.
The rain fly and floor seams are sealed from the factory, so you don’t need to do any weatherproofing whatsoever, unless you wish to use a tarp for more security of course.
But this is by no means essential.
- Been described as easy to set up due to the freestanding design. It can be pitched in 10 minutes
- The 2 doors and 2 vestibules add great convenience
- Has good ventilation and still seals up tight on cold nights
- Actually waterproof and windproof unlike other tents that fail to deliver. Many reviewers have stated that “no additional weatherproofing is needed”. That makes this tent ready-to-go as soon as it arrives
- Has enough room for a queen-sized air mattress, with plenty of room to spare
- The 2 “peep” windows on the rain fly cannot close. It’s not the best choice if you’re camping in a public campsite
- The stakes aren’t the best quality, they actually bend very easily
What Is The Best One?
I have thoroughly researched these tents and came to a few conclusions.
However, these are based on personal choices only. I am by no means TELLING you to get them, I am showing you what I would choose if I were to get one.
What you choose depends on what your plans are out in the wilderness.
The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4 Person Tent is easily my favorite 4-person tent.
It does really well in the rain and wind has many great features that I like.
But if you wish to go car camping and want something to relax in and have a peace of mind knowing you will be safe from mosquitoes and other bugs, then the Coleman Carlsbad 4-Person Dome Dark Room Tent is better suited for you.
The CORE 4 Person Instant Dome Tent is another great choice.
The strong frame means it stays standing in rough weather, it is extremely fast to set up (as it can be done in 30 seconds flat), much cheaper and offers a little more space than other instant tents.
I can not recommend it enough.
These are the ones that I would choose if I were to purchase a 4-person tent again.
They all work incredibly well in the rain and wind and will definitely last for many years if looked after properly.
I hope you make the right choice to fit your camping needs.
Thanks for reading.
Do you have any questions or concerns? Ask me in the comment section below.