Knives are good for almost all outdoor activities, but one thing’s for sure, you need a good blade to aid you on your camping adventures.
I’ve gone through so many low quality knives over the years and they usually let me down when I’m counting on them the most.
I’ve put together a list of the very BEST camping knives that’s guaranteed to last a long time and hold an edge until you finish your trip.
Lets get right into them!
Fixed Blade Knives
Half Tang – As you can see from the picture above, a half tang knife is when the blade extends ONLY half way into the handle.
Rat Tail Tang – The weakest out of all the tang knives is the rat-tail tang.
The rat-tail tang blade extends to the base of the handle, however, it is very narrow and usually welded which means it’s prone to bending or breaking easily.
Full Tang – One solid piece of metal and the strongest out of all the tang knives is the full tang blade.
It is a continuous blade with no welds or threads and the reason why it’s the strongest, most durable blade with the least chance of breaking.
The handle is screwed to each side of the blade for the final finish.
A folding knife is exactly that, a blade that sits inside the handle when not in use and extends when you need to use it.
There are thousands available and they all have different features.
Some have buttons to extend the blade and some self-lock.
Some are only spring assisted and some aren’t assisted at all, meaning you do all the extending and closing.
A sheath, for those who don’t know, is a “pouch or storage” system for storing your knife while not in use.
This allows the blade to stay sharp, to be in a safe place at all times and to extend the overall life.
Some are made of nylon, leather and even plastic; all having their own pros and cons.
All sheaths are included for FREE in every purchase.
1. Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade – The best choice for hunting and cutting meat in a low price range
The Morakniv Fixed Blade is versatile and designed for the outdoors since it’s hardened with stainless steel.
The stainless steal material gives it high corrosion-resistance, excellent edge performance and a high sharpness rating.
Note: Stainless steel provides an overall longer life span than carbon steel.
It features a patterned, high-friction grip for easier usability and maximum comfort.
The specially designed grip is coated in tang which allows it to be used in both wet and cold conditions without affecting end user versatility.
It can be used to cut tinder, prep food, cut wood, carve things and much more.
It has 10 color options and includes a color-matching sheath.
The manufacturers provide a limited lifetime warranty for your purchase.
- It is an all-round outdoors knife and performs well for camping, survival, hunting, fishing, barbecuing and more
- Arrives sharp from factory and holds its edge well
- Super affordable considering the durability and convenience it offers
- Many buyers love how lightweight it is and how comfortable it feels in the hand
- Strong and durable, which a lot of people have discovered and reported back on
- Reports of not being sharp enough from factory
A lot of buyers find that this knife works great for hunting and cutting meat (deer, pigs, etc).
There are a small number of complaints regarding the lack of sharpness when it arrives, but if you’re purchasing a knife like this, you should know how to sharpen one anyway!
Of course it’s going to be sharp enough to use right away but it’s not going to be RAZOR.
It is a spectacular knife, strong, high quality and inexpensive considering how well it performs.
This is an easy 5-star knife for all the reasons outlined above!
My Final Rating
2. Buck Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath – A true work of art with the best attention-to-detail in the price range
The Fixed Blade Knife from Buck Knives has held a solid 5-star rating since initial release.
The blade is razor sharp and has good edge retention and corrosion-resistance.
It has a very sharp point which is good for piercing things for hunting and detail work for camping (cutting kindling, etc).
It features palm swells for a comfortable grip and a aluminium guard for balance and appearance.
A leather sheath is included in the purchase and has a snap fastener for added convenience.
Buck provide an outstanding lifetime warranty! That’s how much they stand behind their product and they are also made in the USA.
- This is a well made, high quality and sturdy knife with an excellent finish
- It is razor sharp from factory and does a great job holding its edge
- Offers so much for such a low price range
- Great balance and feels good in the hand
- The sheath is actually top quality and lasts a long time
- Reports of the handle breaking after just one year (however, this is where Bucks lifetime warranty comes into play)
Most people who purchase this knife can’t believe how low of a price it really is.
Plus, Buck is an American icon, and rightfully so!
They’ve been creating knives for over 100 years and continue to release top-notch knives for all outdoorsman.
There is no bad feedback worth mentioning because there are people pick-nicking at things when it is not needed.
What did catch my eye was the 5-star rating this knife has accumulated over the years on Amazon.
They even provide a lifetime warranty because they stand behind their that much and know how much you’ll love this knife.
My Final Rating
3. Gerber StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife with Serrated Edge – Built for the military; packed with features
This knife from Gerber is built for survival and combat (specially designed for military personnel) but fits perfectly for camping.
It has a serrated edge and full-tang blade. The ceramic coating give it the best corrosion-resistance and extends the life of the blade.
The grip consists of rubberized diamond texture and a striking pummel sits at the base of the knife for emergency situations.
This is used for defending yourself or breaking through hard surfaces.
The sheath has ultimate versatility as it can be mounted vertically, horizontally or even on your leg, which is done with the MOLLE mount and detachable belt loops.
Both the sheath and knife are made in the United States.
- The diamond-textured grip is amazing and will not slip out of your hand when wet
- The shape of the grip makes it comfortable to carry, hold and use
- Designed for combat and survival so it’ll always be high quality and durable
- The sheath is on a whole other level. It has multiple ways to attach to your body
- Easy to use and performs like a charm in every scenario
- Reports of a poor factory edge
What a great knife this is!
It might not be the sharpest from factory, but once you put a good edge on it it performs like beast in the great outdoors.
It is so strong and easily handles the outdoor weather.
It fits comfortably in your hand and the sheath makes for a very versatile setup.
Place the sheath on your leg for an easily accessible area or across your waistline for frequent use.
I like how much good feedback this knife has received because the negative reviews aren’t much of a big deal.
For that reason I have to say the Gerber StrongArm is highly recommended!
My Final Rating
4. Light My Fire Swedish FireKnife with Fire Starter – Best for camping and surviving due to the attached fire starter
The Light My Fire Swedish FireKnife is available in 7 different colors and even includes a Fire Starter.
The Fire Starter twists on the end of the knife so it stays ready-to-use when you need it.
Note: The Fire Starter isn’t cheap; it’s magnesium alloy with a 3000 degree C spark. It works when wet and has 3000 lifetime strikes.
The spine of the knife is made especially for the use of the fire starter and easily creates a spark for lighting fires.
It includes an anti-slip rubber handle and a color-matching sheath (free with the purchase).
The tip is designed for detail work but the rest of the blade allows for the most vigorous tasks.
Light My Fire provide a limited lifetime warranty.
- Has a very sharp blade and super edge retention
- Good for camping considering it features a fire starter
- 2 for 1 special; it’s an alternative for an emergency fire starter and heavier knife
- The sheath is actually top quality, hard plastic and lasts a long time
- Available in 7 different colors with color-matching sheaths
- A few complaints about the flint breaking quickly
The money they saved on the plastic materials, they clearly used on the steel!
It truly is a solid piece of stainless steel that takes a beating.
Don’t be put off because of the plastic sheath; it is actually quite tough and durable.
It’s not good for pummeling stakes or being used as a hammer, however, it performs beyond expectations for everything else for such an inexpensive knife!
People love their purchase and even buy several more for themselves and as gifts.
Great attention-to-detail with a super good blade, in my opinion.
My Final Rating
5. Ka-Bar Becker Campanion Fixed Blade Knife – Lives up to the hype; a true beast and a half
The Ka-Bar Fixed Blade is a full tang, heavy duty knife best suited for camping but can also work for hunting or detail work in the field (splitting kindling, prying apart joints, skinning game, etc).
It comes in a hard shell, black nylon sheath which keeps the knife safe, secure and sharp.
The sheath is much more advanced than others; the knife locks into place for safety so it doesn’t fall out. It’s just a matter of applying pressure in the required spot to release the knife.
It is very solid and durable. The blade is made from Grivory and offers good overall balance.
This knife is made in the US of A and easily withstands outdoor weather.
- This knife is solid and reliable for the outdoors
- It is strong, high quality and durable. You get more than you paid for
- The angle of the blade allows it to be used in a variety of different ways. It’s not just good at one thing, but MANY things
- Aftermarket handles and different sheaths are available for customization
- Highly enjoyed by big knife people and proven to live up to the hype
- It is heavier than similar knives
- A little difficult taking out of the sheath
It is classed as the ultimate all-purpose knife.
It’s not the lightest knife for fighting or combat but works like a charm for everything else.
It really does take a lot of punishment without breaking, as many people have found out firsthand and proven.
Some negative reviewers claim it can do all these things, but not that good.
The rest are saying it can do everything and it’s good at it.
There are a lot more people loving their purchase than haters, and it’s held a great star-rating for this long.
It is the ultimate all-purpose knife that handles punishment extremely well.
My Final Rating
6. Gerber Bear Grylls Folding Sheath Knife with Serrated Edge – A good backup knife as it’s so compact and lightweight
Gerber and Bear Grylls have teamed up to create the ultimate survival knife.
The Gerber Bear Grylls folds and compacts down small but still packs a punch.
When folded, it can be stored in the included sheath for safety and longevity. It’s so lightweight it won’t weigh you down.
The sheath is made of a durable military-grade nylon material specially designed to handle the outdoor elements and resist mold and mildew.
It features a carbon stainless steel blade and textured rubber grip for comfort.
The half-serrated blade allows for a strong edge and cutting rope/paracord like a champ.
The indented thumb studs allow the knife to be opened with just one hand in a fast and safe manner.
A free survival guide is included in the purchase.
- Ultra lightweight, compact and portable even with the sheath
- Solid, sturdy and durable as a lot of buyers have proven
- The handle is easy to grip even when wet
- Dangerously sharp and holds its edge very well
- The included sheath allows you to keep the knife on you at all times
- A few complaints about people selling Chinese knock-offs and not the real knife from Gerber
So when you purchase this knife make sure you buy it from the real seller (Gerber) and not some random knock-off seller.
I’ve seen many complaints about these fake knives being sold and they are really bad.
The fake knives rust easily, they’re difficult to fold and unfold and the plastic is so cheap it doesn’t last long.
However, the LEGIT ones are from Gerber.
These knives are solid, durable, last a long time and are dangerously sharp.
Due to the high quality these knives offer for such a low price, I’ll have to give it 4.6/5 stars!
My Final Rating
7. Schrade Stainless Steel Fixed Blade – Takes an absolute hammering; best for chopping branches and hunting
This knife is fits comfortably in the hand thanks to the ring textured grip; specifically designed to stay tacky in all outdoor conditions.
The thumb notch and finger choil promote security and an anti-slip grip.
It features carbon stainless steel and a belt sheath with a storage pouch.
The storage pouch can be removed to save on weight or attached for more convenience.
The sheath allows the blade to stay sharp, safe and ensures quick and easy access when you need it the most.
This knife features a full tang blade!
- It is a jack-of-all trades, master of none kind of blade
- It’s very heavy duty and durable for all outdoor adventures and will last for many years of excessive use
- It can support a number of grips thanks to the notches and strong rubber grip
- The blade is RAZOR sharp right out of the box and holds an edge well
- Hacking a branch with this knife is not a problem; it really is that strong
- Not ideal for skinning, filleting or detailing wood work as it’s too bulky
This knife has received a lot of purchases and I’ve come up with my own conclusion based off of my findings.
It is bulky but powerful.
It takes a hammering, chops branches with ease and still stays sharp.
The only problem is that it’s a little difficult for detail work, but other than that, it’s worth more than the price and smashes the competition out of the water.
Everyone loves their purchase and can’t believe how strong it really is, and because of the many reasons above, I have to say I love this knife too!
My Final Rating
8. TAC Force Assisted Opening Tactical Folding Knife – A great EDC knife thanks to the bottle opener and glass breaker
The TAC Force Speedster is a little similar than the Spring Assisted Knife but still unique in its own way.
The assistance system allows for quick deployment and the liner lock ensures it stays in place and not slip into closure.
It features a black stainless steel blade for the best corrosion-resistance and features 11 different color options!
The colors are specially designed for knife collectors, hunters and tactical users.
The aluminum handle has a bottle opener and glass breaker, which is located at the end of the knife (good for breaking windows).
The high quality pocket clip makes it easy to carry and ready to go when you need it in emergencies.
- The speedster tactical knife is really durable, sturdy and sharp
- It is high quality and found to last a long time with frequent use
- It is the ultimate multi-purpose knife
- It has a really nice finish with great attention-to-detail
- Outstanding customer service who actually stand by their product and stay professional
- Bottle opener is a little difficult to use and only usable with the knife extended
The TAC Force Assisted Opening Tactical Folding Knife is another inexpensive knife for camping.
The super sharp blade is great for defending against wild animals or an attacker and has many useful features for the great outdoors.
It is quick to use even if it’s only assistance and not spring but makes up for it with the high durability and low price range.
The only major con was the bottle opener only being usable with the knife extended, but other than that, it is great for the outdoors.
My Final Rating
9. Spring Assisted Knife by Green Way – Easy to carry and ready to go every time you need it
The Spring Assisted Knife from Grand Way can be folded in half for compactness and contains a reliable liner-lock to stop unwanted closures.
The indented thumb studs makes it usable for both right and left-handers.
Official description claims it’s good for camping, hiking, bushcraft, survival, fishing, military needs, DIY, self defense and emergencies.
The black stainless steel coating allows the edge to stay sharper for longer and the handle is made of metal with thumb studs for ultimate comfort and grip.
There is a built-in carry clip, a lightweight aluminium handle and an overall high quality assembly.
Grand Way provide a whopping 10-year warranty!
- It opens so fast it’ll always be ready to go, every single time
- Offers a lot for such a low price
- It is easy to carry and fits perfectly in your hand, both left and right hand
- High quality with many useful features
- The liner lock creates dirt-resistance and prevents unexpected closures
- The belt clip is low quality and bends easily
- Only lasts about a month with frequent use
It is ultra lightweight, has a military design and makes you a complete bad ass to anyone who sees you using this thing.
It is a #1 best seller with an extra sharp edge at a remarkable price.
Even when the spring-assisted system breaks it works as a fixed blade knife, which is a big winner in my eyes.
The pros outweigh the cons immensely, and even though it might be cheaply-made, you EASILY get your moneys worth.
My Final Rating
10. MTech Series Fixed Blade Hunting Knife – A little heavy but high quality for the price
This knife is designed especially for camping, surviving and hunting.
It features a black stainless steel blade and an ABS grip which stays tacky even in wet conditions.
The edge is sharp from factory and has an easy time keeping the edge, but you’d want to sharpen it yourself if you’re after razor sharpness.
It is not cheaply made by any means and is actually one of the higher quality knives you’d find in this price range.
A nylon sheath is included in the purchase for easy transportation and longevity of the knife.
It features a glass breaker for emergency situations like when you’re locked out of your RV, when you need to defend yourself against an attacker, etc.
- It comes really sharp from factory and has no trouble holding its edge
- The grip has rubber material and sits comfortably in the hand
- Has many features; my favorite being the glass breaker
- It’s really solid and durable, and built with quality in mind
- High value for money
- A little on the heavier side
- The sheath is cheaply made and probably won’t last long with heavy use
The sheath isn’t the best quality, it won’t last long and the knife is a little heavier than others.
However, the quality is outstanding and people have found it to perform better than expected.
It is much more affordable than knives with similar quality but in a higher price range, which is a big winner in my eyes.
There’s only a small number of complaints and a whole lot of buyers loving their purchase and buying more as gifts.
I’m surprised at how much value it offers for the price and can’t recommend it enough!
My Final Rating
11. Smith & Wesson Stainless Steel Fixed Blade Knife – Low quality and inexpensive but usable in every situation imaginable
This knife is used for any outdoor situation, whether that be for surviving, camping, hunting, or warding off an attacker.
The Smith and Wesson brand create their knives to be ready for all situations, and that is how they came up with this knife.
It features a dual-edged blade for usability on both sides.
The hand guard provides comfort and ease of use and the belt/booth sheath keeps your knife safe and secure, which is included in the purchase.
The blade is full tang and the lanyard hole provides added convenience.
There is a blood groove to lighten the weight of the knife, NOT for draining blood as some people think.
- It is extremely effective in all situations but performs best for camping, hunting and self-defense
- The rubber handle and hand guard offer maximum comfort and tackiness
- It is a cheap-entry knife but offers so much for a low price bracket
- The dual-edged system allows it to be used on both sides (when one sides blunt, use the other)
- Both edges come razor sharp from factory
- Small and light enough to fit in your boots without being a hassle
- On the cheaper side; not likely to last long
- Reports of a weak tip (snaps easily, bends, etc)
This knife is not exactly the best due to the lack of quality, however, hear me out just a second.
It is highly affordable and still offers a lot.
It’s packed with features and effective in almost any situation imaginable.
It even has 2 edges for when one goes blunt or you’re trying to stab something! (defending yourself or hunting)
Yes, it does exactly what it’s designed to but the tip is lacking durability, which is the only main issue I could find.
Other than that, this knife is a steal at this price.
My Final Rating
12. Yes4All Stainless Steel Fixed Blade Camping Knife – The ultimate outdoor knife in a cheap price range
Another knife with a fire starter is the Yes4All Stainless Steel Fixed Blade.
The fire starter (usable in wet conditions) and sheath are included in the purchase.
It is heavy duty and specially designed for outdoor use such as: camping, hunting, survival, skinning, slicing, cutting, and everything else in between.
The “saw teeth” on the blade is for carving and cutting rope. There’s even a gut hook on the back!
The PAKKAWOOD handle is both waterproof and heat-resistant and the grooves are designed for the most comfortable grip.
It can also be sharpened at both edges for ultimate convenience.
Yes4All provide a 1-year warranty and 60-day return.
- Enhanced liner on the sheath for durability; stopping it from getting cut from the knife
- Has many cutting options. My favorite is the carving tool for cutting paracord
- The weight of this thing, the grip and the feel is amazing no matter how you use it
- It is heavy enough to pack a punch but not too heavy to carry or use
- It is great value for money
- It is razor sharp and holds the edge well
- Reports of being low quality and cheap
For the price, this knife is outstanding!
There’s many useful features for a price in this bracket AND can be used in every scenario
If you use it for overhand, underhand, piercing, slicing, dicing or cutting things, this knife is for you.
The complaints are almost non-existent and probably not worth mentioning but for the sake of formation, I’m going to explain what the problem is here.
It’s a highly affordable, multi-purpose knife for the outdoors and you get what you pay for.
Of course it’s not going to last for years of frequent use, but if you’re looking after it and know it’s not a $50 plus blade, you’ll easily get more than your moneys worth out of it.
My Final Rating
How I Chose the Best
I scoured through hundreds of knives on the internet and put together a huge list of knives with the best reviews.
I then threw the bad ones out the door and and kept only the top 12.
These are the knives you see in this list.
I have reviewed all of them, found the pros and cons and come up with my own conclusions.
The one that really stood out to me was the Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade.
So many people have fallen in love with this knife and they keep coming back for more.
They are versatile and available in many different colors for all outdoors people.
These knives are high quality and able to stand the test of time; a true camping knife in my opinion!
I hope you found the right camping knife to fit your outdoor adventures.
Remember, knives are sharp and dangerous; care must be taken every time you use them. That’s what the sheath is for, to store it away SAFELY.
Now go get yourself a great blade and come back to let us know what your new knife and adventure was like!
12 thoughts on “12 Best Camping Knives of 2020”
A great and very informative article! My husband, kids and I love to camp and we go quite often. I agree, a good knife is definitely a must, thank you for the reviews and recommendations!
Not a problem Zoe, I’m always happy to help 🙂
Damn! Didn’t know there is so much to know about knives, haha! Good read. Will definitely be looking at purchasing one of these beauties next summer for camping. Keep up the good work!
There’s so many greats in this list you don’t need to look elsewhere. I’ve included something for everyone at all price ranges – you cannot go wrong.
As always very helpful article , very detailed and informative and always learn something new about camping tools , Great stuff . Thanks for the article
Hello Ahmed, thanks for the kind words and I’m glad you learnt something 🙂
I really liked Buck Fixed Blade Knife as I will need to pierce things with a knife. Also, I know that it will not hurt my hand while doing it. But I am at an intermediate level. Is it suitable for me?
That is a great knife Furkan even for an intermediate user like yourself. If you were a beginner I would have said no because it’s not light or easy to handle, so it is better suited for intermediate to expert users.
This is great info and insight. Do you recommend a multi-tool? Or do you prefer a fixed blade?
Honestly, it depends on what you’ll be using the tool for. But in my experience, a knife is also good for multiple things if you get the correct knife.
You need a high quality, durable blade and there are many in this article. Hope this helps.
The Morakniv looks like a great blade to have around the campsite. Do you have any recommendations on the best type of whetstone or sharpener to keep around the house? I usually don’t go for more than a day or two so I don’t care about size or weight as it’d mostly be left at home.
Any stone will do. At the end of the day, sharpening your blade comes down to skill not the sharpener or brand. The cheap ones are just as good as the more expensive, it just won’t last as long.