Is this cold weather sleeping bag really designed to keep us warm during the night, or yet another false claim by the manufacturers?
Well in my Coleman Dunnock Large Cold Weather Sleeping Bag review, I’m going to debunk the reviews from the internet regarding this product and find the true quality of it.
Should you spend your hard-earned cash on it or not? Read on to find out what this sleeping bag is about.
This product is classed as a Big and Tall bag, while it also contains Coletherm Insulation.
It fits someone who’s up to 6′ 4″.
This sleeping bag has an Orange Cotton Cover with A Soft Brown Flannel Liner. This is the feature that makes you stay warm in the colder temperatures.
The temperature rating is sitting at 20-40 degrees, MEANING you will keep alive if you decide to camp in those cold conditions.
However, to be a lot more comfortable and ACTUALLY stay toasting warm, I would recommend going a little higher, otherwise learn how to keep extra warm while inside your bag.
- Anti-snag zipper glide to give you more glide around the corners and to stop it from snagging
- A Comfort Cuff that adds softness to your face
- A Controller Lock. This feature makes it easier to roll the sleeping bag up
- A Fiberlock system to stop the insulation material from moving around, overall improving the durability and longevity of the product
What Makes This Sleeping Bag Unique?
I typically like the different features it provides.
The Fiberlock system isn’t available in every type of sleeping bag, so this is something that makes it stand out from its competitors.
Longevity is a problem with a lot of sleeping bags, since many newbies don’t know how to extend the life of theirs, this one does it automatically just by stopping the foam from shifting all the time.
What Are Its Specifications?
Product name: Coleman Dunnock Large Cold Weather Sleeping Bag
Cheapest place to buy: Amazon.com
Dimensions: 11 x 11 x 20 inches
Weight: 7.28 pounds
Fabric Type: 100% Cotton with the fill containing 100% Cotton
Temperature Rating: 20 Degrees Fahrenheit
Guarantee: 30 day return policy
Who It’s For
This sleeping bag would make a perfect choice for summer camping trip with friends and family, and even for a newbie.
It has been found to be high quality.
And because it is a little heavier than other sleeping bags, it’s better to use it for car or motorcycle camping.
If you plan on using it for that, then it is for you.
But if you want to use it for backpacking, then I would rather you view this one instead.
I would also like to mention that it fits people who are 6′ 4″ or less, and works wonders for both genders.
Pricing & Purchase Details
This sleeping bag is available from the Amazon online store, while this includes a 30 day return policy and a 5 year limited warranty from the manufacturers.
If you don’t like the product, you can send it back and get a full refund.
If you find any defects on it, you can get a repair.
The price of the sleeping bag does vary though, but usually sits between $50 and $80.
Pros and Cons
- Because it is rectangular-shaped and not a mummy bag, it provides you with more room to move around, a good idea if you’re a little claustrophobic
- The cotton cover and lining makes you feel incredibly comfortable. And people have said it feels great to sleep in as well
- If you decide to camp in the summertime, you can just unzip the bag and let some warm heat out, this will stop you from overheating
- This sleeping bag is capable of keeping you warm in 30-35 degrees Fahrenheit (without additional protection on your part). You will only need a sleeping pad and a foam pad underneath that
- Contains a lot of features that other sleeping bags don’t have. My favorites are the toggle buttons on the side of the bag to help roll it up and the anti-snag zippers!
- And yes, you can zip these sleeping bags together with the same type of bag to create a double one
- It is too heavy and bulky for backpacking
- It isn’t the highest quality sleeping bag on the market, so the fabric is not going to be super heavy duty. Just make sure you are careful with it if you want to make it last a long time
- A few complaints about the insulation being 100% polyester when the description specifically says that it is 100% cotton. This is false advertising on their part
Alternative Sleeping Bag
If you are looking for a sleeping bag that will be a good choice for backpacking, since this one is just too heavy, then the Teton Sports Trailhead is better for you. It is in the same price range too.
Do I Recommend This Sleeping Bag?
There are so many people praising this sleeping bag, with the negative reviews being virtually non-existent.
When there’s a product that has a lot of purchases but an incredibly low amount of bad feedback, and at THIS PRICE RANGE, it is clearly telling you something.
What do I mean?
This sleeping bag caught me by surprise.
For a product of this price, you would think it won’t last as long as the manufacturers claim it to, when in fact it does.
It has a solid 4.5/5 star rating and it doesn’t show any signs of going down either.
The Coleman Dunnock Large Cold Weather Sleeping Bag is highly recommended!
My Final Opinion
If you are looking to go backpacking, then you should not get this sleeping bag, since it’s just too heavy for that.
But if you want something simple but very effective and going to last a long time (if you’re a seasonal camper and you look after the bag), then this one is a great choice.
For all the reasons that I have talked about inside this review, and because the cons aren’t that big either, I have no problems with this sleeping bag.
It is highly recommended!