I came across this sleeping bag on Amazon.com and thought I should give my personal opinion on it.
And probably just like you, I was surprised at how much praise it has been given, ESPECIALLY because of the price that has been slapped on it!
But there are always two sides to every story, so which one is correct? Is it good or not?
I will be debunking all the feedback in this Coleman North Rim 0 Degree Sleeping Bag Review that is has received, and then I will compile all my findings inside this article 😀
The Coleman North Rim 0 Degree Sleeping Bag has been designed to withstand temperatures ranging from 32-42 degrees Fahrenheit.
Even though the manufacturers are describing this sleeping bag to keep you “comfortably” warm down to 15 degrees Fahrenheit, I will see if this is true first before I can confirm it.
This mummy-shaped loaded bag has been packed with features that you’d usually see in a sleeping bag with a higher price tag.
This specific sleeping bag has been filled with 100% polyester fabric, while the outside fabric is also 100% polyester.
Other features include:
- Offset quilt construction to help eliminate cold spots (this is done by providing double foam insulation material)
- Padded, semi-sculpted hood, which ensures your head will stay warm too
- A chest baffle to help your body-heat get trapped inside the bag
- A well-insulated draft tube that gives even more protection against cold drafts
- Double zipper system to allow ventilation in the warmer months
- Box foot system to give you extra room for your feet
- Commercial machine washable
What Makes This Sleeping Bag Unique?
The fact that this sleeping bag is packed with a bunch of different features, while not being the most expensive sleeping bag on the market either, really makes it stand out from the crowd.
I’m currently liking the padded hood and the double insulation padding that it provides.
If the 15 degrees Fahrenheit theory is found to be true, then that is definitely something I haven’t seen in a sleeping bag of this price yet.
Product name: Coleman North Rim 0 Degree Sleeping Bag
Cheapest place to buy: Amazon.com
Dimensions: 12 x 12.35 x 17.1 inches
Weight: 4.6 pounds
Color: Green/Dark Gray
Material type: Synthetic
Guarantee: 30 day return policy
Who It’s For
This sleeping bag has been created to keep you alive at temperatures as low as 15 degrees Fahrenheit, while the description says it can fit people up to 6′ 2″.
If you are at that height or lower, and you’re on a budget, then this sleeping bag is definitely something to consider.
I would also say it’s still good to use in the summer too, due to you being able to unzip the side and let some warm heat out, in the event that you do start overheating.
Car camping and motorcycle camping is great for this sleeping bag.
However, it is not a good choice for backpacking due to the heavy weight.
Pricing & Purchase Details
It is now available on Amazon.com, while the pricing of it changes all the time, but is is usually $30 to $70.
But don’t quote me on that, which is why I recommend you see the price first.
As with most Amazon products, it comes with a 30 day return policy and a 5 year limited warranty from the manufacturers.
You can get a full refund if you want to (if it wasn’t up to your expectations, then you can send it back).
And if you find a defect on the bag, you can get a repair.
Pros and Cons
- It makes a perfect choice for car/truck/motorcycle camping, whichever one you prefer, and that’s because the weight is a little heavier than others
- I really like how there are so many features that it has been given. My favorite is by far the big “sock” that it has, giving you more insulation to your feet
- It’s found to be true that it can keep you warm down to AT LEAST 20 degrees Fahrenheit, but if you want to go lower than that, a little warming up on your part will make it work wonders down to 15º F
- This sleeping bag is plush and the fabric feels very nice, while many people have mentioned that it’s high quality and incredibly comfortable
- As many other users have stated, it is far too heavy to take it backpacking
- It may need 12-24 hours to air out as soon as it arrives, due to the chemical aromas that are present
- A common complaint about the zippers not being the best and breaking fairly quickly (that’s what the return policy is for anyway)
- Not the best option for larger people, it is more made designed more for “average-sized” people
Do I Recommend This Sleeping Bag?
I’m going to get straight to the point here.
The sleeping bag is holding a solid 4.4 stars out of 5! I have debunked the reviews and found a final conclusion with this sleeping bag.
I found out that most of the negative feedback is because of the zipper, the zipper may break on the first trip, or it can break around the 3 month mark.
That’s the common complaint that people mentioned.
But you have to remember, there are thousands of these sleeping bags being created and sold, there’s going to be a very slight chance that it’s going to happen anyway.
And that’s with most products from Amazon.
Apart from that slight downfall, all the other cons aren’t that much to worry about.
After coming to that conclusion, this sleeping bag DOES work incredibly well for car/truck camping and many people have enjoyed the benefits that it provides.
Yes, I will have to say this sleeping bag is highly recommended!
Alternative Sleeping Bag
If you’re a little on the larger side, then I highly suggest you check out my review on the Coleman Dunnock Large Cold Weather Sleeping.
It is still designed for cold weather camping and in the same price range, but just a little heavier as it provides more room.
Or if you want a sleeping bag that WILL be good for backpacking since it’s lighter, while also in the same price range and mummy-shaped, then the Teton Sports Trailhead is good for you.
The only downfall is that it can only keep you ‘comfortably’ warm down to 40-45ºF. Any lower than that and it gets too chilly.
My Final Verdict
As you can clearly see, the Coleman North Rim 0 Degree Sleeping Bag would be your best choice for car or truck camping if you are the average person.
It isn’t highly expensive either, making it easier for people on a budget to get something that’s good for them.
Hundreds of people absolutely love this sleeping bag so much that they keep purchasing them over and over again since they know how good they perform in the wilderness.
Some people even use them without a tent and use a lean-to shelter instead!
I could go on about this sleeping bag, but I would rather you check it out for yourself.
Because it performs AS ADVERTISED and there aren’t much negative feedback that it has been given either.
Due to the many reasons that I’ve mentioned inside this review, and since the cons aren’t that much of a big deal, I have no hesitations in recommending this sleeping bag.
Great product, comfortable, well-insulated, highly recommended!