I am an avid camper and have camped for many moons, many sunshine’s, hail storms, snow, rainstorms and even thunderstorms.
I’ve done it all!
I will be explaining why I think summer is the best time to go camping.
You’ll also be able to see if the other seasons are a good choice for you, because they are all different with different things to offer.
Winter camping is right at the bottom of my list for camping.
It is too difficult to learn how to do it properly.
I know how to do it and I have actually done it many times before, but for the sake of this article, I want you to have the very BEST time with the least amount of stress as possible.
You won’t get that if you have no idea what you are doing!
However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it in the future (when you’re much more experienced), because you absolutely should.
Picture this: Snowy terrain, glowing landscapes, colder temperatures, different animals and frozen lakes.
The terrain is SO much different in the winter than any other time of the year.
Basically, it’s going to be a disaster without the proper knowledge.
And that brings me to my next preferred season to camp – spring!
Again, spring offers an entirely different landscape than any other season.
Even though spring is still a viable camping option, there are still fewer crowds than the summertime.
If you ask me, spring is the most beautiful time to go camping simply because all of nature is waking up around you.
The birds are chirping, the air is clean, everything is new and bright, AND it’s warm!
- Campsites are cheaper
- Less bugs
- The temperature is just right
- The scent from trees, grass and flowers are amazing
- You deserve it after being hibernated for so long
Uhhh…traditional summer camping.
Who would’ve thought this would be my favorite time to go camping? Well…most peoples favorite actually!
I love the sun, the glowing lakes and the happy sounds of families having fun in the distant.
I have camped with my family ever since I was a child, and it was done during the summer. That’s probably what caused me to enjoy it as an adult too!
Here’s why I think summer is the best time to go camping:
- It’s easier for everyone involved. You don’t even have to worry about the kids getting cold at nighttime!
- You get to see the clear night sky. You can see the clear night sky in other seasons but it isn’t as good as in the summer. You have to take advantage of these warmer months as much as possible, so remove that rain fly off and sleep under the stars! You and your family will love it!
- The sunset and sunrise. Okay – so if this isn’t a good enough excuse – I don’t know what is 😛 I enjoy getting up early in the morning, firing up the campfire and eating my breakfast burrito…then finding a great place to watch the sunrise. Even better, wake the kids up and let them see it as well! You will create unforgettable memories my friend
- Taking a baby is much easier, even a newborn. It is much easier to take a newborn camping with you, as the air is much warmer than the other months. Sometimes it can be too cold and risky during the other seasons, but summer provides the best temperature for your child
- Nature is at its peak during the summer. The pollen has died down by these months but the smells of nature are undeniably much better. Take full advantage of the outdoors by taking plenty of pictures. Make everyone back home jealous 😀
- You can go cheap. The temperature’s already high so you don’t need to fork out on expensive clothing and gear to keep you warm, nor do you need expensive sleeping bags or tents.
If you’re more of a picturesque type of person, you’ll absolutely love camping in the fall. The different colors create astonishing views.
Find a high point and take pictures of the different hues!
But keep in mind that wearing the right clothing is a must, as the temperature is much colder than the summertime so you’ll need to invest in more expensive (warm) gear.
And just like spring and winter, you can find affordable prices for campgrounds.
It is also much easier to get to sleep since the air isn’t overly hot. Just snuggle up and get a restful nights sleep my friend 🙂
Of course what season you camp in is completely up to you.
But ask yourself these questions first:
Are you taking children? Summer camping would be the best choice.
Do you want to go relatively cheap if you don’t have expensive gear to keep you warm? Summer camping it is.
What type of landscapes do you wish to see? They all offer different views.
Do you enjoy the heat? Go summer camping.
Are you an experienced camper and wish to increase your knowledge? Go winter camping.
Are you more of a lone wolf? Spring and fall camping might be better for you since there’ll be less crowded sites.
Thanks for reading!
I hope you found what you were looking for in this article.
Let me know in the comments:
1. When is your favorite time to go camping?
2. Have you had a bad camping experience and what season did it happen in?