Why I’m Writing This Post
So for those of you who don’t know me, I am a master at camping. However I feel that I must say it wasn’t all easy at the start. When I first started camping there was quite a few mistakes I down-right wish that I avoided from the start, because these are definitely avoidable. Enjoy!
Avoid These Harsh Camping Mistakes
1. Not Researching The Location I Was Camping – This mistake is huge, and a lot of people are still making this mistake. Camping is about having fun, relaxing and enjoying yourself. But that can quickly be turned around and ruined if people do not prepare themselves for the area they are camping in. Research the weather, climatic conditions and the roadways so you can be fully prepared for anything you come across. Without this knowledge, there are chances you can struggle on your camping trip.
2. Not Upgrading My Cheap Equipment – Most of the time beginners will purchase the cheapest equipment because they wanted to save money OR that’s all they can afford. This is perfectly fine, however this equipment is not the greatest so it is highly important that you upgrade it before it starts getting wear and tear. If you don’t upgrade before this happens, you will surely start seeing some problems.
3. Relying Just On The Campfire
Usually people will rely JUST on the campfire for cooking. This is a huge mistake if you decide to rely on this and not decide to take any backup with you. The weather can change – and sometimes it can change fast. Suddenly it becomes rainy or windy. In these conditions the campfire will not be possible to cook food, and without any backup you will have to go without food. Take a backup, such as a cooking stove.
4. Not Checking My Equipment Before Going Camping – Another harsh mistake people will make is that they don’t check their equipment before going camping. Once they get to their camping destination they soon realize that they camping equipment is either missing or not working well. How to avoid this? ‘Double’ check ALL of your equipment before going out. It also doesn’t hurt to put a tent up for practice and to verify everything’s working fine, without anything missing. It never hurts to do practice your camping skills as this can save people from the worst troubles at the camping site.
5. Bringing The Whole House With Me (LOL) – A lot of people bring the whole house with them – meaning they will often bring unnecessary items with them which makes tents and things overcrowded. It is highly important that you create a list for all items that you need and only bring those items that are necessary for camping. You want to avoid being over-packed.
6. Arriving Too Late To The Camping Destination
Another huge mistake I commonly made was arriving too late to the campsite. Problems arise as you find it too difficult to find a place to pitch your tent. This all takes time – to put your tent up and light up the campfire. Avoid this common mistake by arriving to your destination on time so you have enough time to find a suitable location for your tent. Which means less worry/stress and more enjoyment/relaxation for yourself!
A Few Things To Take Note
Just remember that camping is for reclamation and adventure, so it will not feel like home. There are some chances that nocturnal animals can cause annoyance and kids can get dirty in only a few minutes time. Some people may find it uncomfortable sleeping in close quarters to each other. However, you should also remember that you are there to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors while spending good time with the family.
So it is very important that you have proper planning about the camping trip and have enough information about the camping site. Don’t forget to double-check your equipment list in order to avoid any problems that may arise while in the wilderness.
What’s the biggest mistake you made while on your camping trip? Let us know in the comment section below, I’m sure we can all relate.