I have compiled a list of awesome camping tricks so you can maximize your opportunities for adventure while you’re camping. You need to have a comfortable base in order to prepare yourself for day hikes.
Usually people will go to their favorite campground for a 3 day weekend. However there is a smaller percentage of people who go for more than a week at a time. But this does not mean you have to sacrifice some comfort for adventure while in the outdoors. This is why it is essential to know the difference between camping gear and luxuries.
Camping Tricks For Your Arsenal Of Camping Secrets
#1: Shelter Is No.1 Priority
- Take note of your surroundings. You don’t want to have a perfect camp ruined by a falling tree. Downed limbs and some dead debris is a good sign that you should not camp there.
- Look for trees you can use for advantage (They have to be healthy ones of course). Camp under a healthy tree which can cover you from light rain just in case there’s a drizzle in the night.
- Get an idea of the wind direction. You don’t want to pitch your tent and start your campfire only to realize that all the smokes going inside your tent.
- Find out where the sun will rise and set. Balance cover and open-area so you can get some of that beautiful morning sun.
- Choose a tent that will fit your needs. There’s no point in buying a larger tent if you’re camping by yourself. As these tents require more time and space to put up and take down.
- Consider using a hammock for shelter over your tent. They are hugely versatile for a wide range of conditions and temperatures.
Need a good tent for camping? Read my recommendation here
#2: Know The Fire
- Know your burn rate. 12-14 logs is definitely enough to cook dinner in cast iron and also enough to fuel the comfortable fire until midnight.
- Dry, lighter wood burns a lot faster than hardwoods so don’t forget that.
- Take more than enough wood just in case you end up having an unplanned bonus day.
- Use rocks to surround your camp fire. It makes your fire pit look amazing, plus it creates some distance between the kids and the flame.
#3: Cool Camping Tricks For Food
- Modify your recipes if possible. A one pot recipe is a lot easier than 2-3, while keeping clean up duty a breeze.
- You want to find recipes that have been made in a camp setting. Campfire recipes have been adapted for those rustic conditions that chefs have to work with.
- Be sure to love and use cast iron. Not only is it durable and versatile, but it also provides the most perfect cooking surface for camping.
- Save space by using multi-tools. Find cooking utensils that will meet a variety of uses.
- Don’t pack too many spices. Just enough for what you need.
At the end of your day, it is mesmerizing to come back to your campsite and enjoy a great meal, your campfire and the company of other people. However, learning how to camp in overall comfort may take you years of trial and error which is why I put this list of camping tricks and tips for you to ultimately make camping easier.
Let me know in the comment section below what you absolutely LOVE about camping.