I LOVE the outdoor camping activities, and what’s more enjoyable than sitting around the campfire eating your hearty meal you cooked up
Well, doing some awesome campfire hacks actually! I have always liked hacking ideas, and these campfire hacks I have found and used are just my favorite, hence why I’m sharing them with you all today.
Let’s get into it 🙂
1. Temperature Coal Hack
Want to take your bush crafting skills to the next level? You need to try this hot coals temperature hack.
- Start your campfire, get it roaring for at least 30 to 60 minutes
- Grab 4 rocks (roughly smaller than tennis balls) and place them in a square shape
- When your coals are hot and easily breakable, use a stake or stick to drag some of the coals from under the fire to your square of rocks
- Place them evenly to distribute the heat throughout the square
- Place your cooking tray over top
- Your are now ready to cook
Add or remove hot coals as you wish, more for hot, and less for a more slow-cook approach.
2. The Food And Tinfoil Hack
This one is an oldy but a goody, and best used when prepping meals beforehand.
Whatever you want to cook over the campfire, whether it be popcorn, breakfast burritos (Opens in a new tab), or baked potatoes, simply place the prepped meal inside tinfoil and tightly wrap it up.
When you’re ready to cook, place it over hot coals or the tray and cook until desired.
3. Doritos As A Fire Starter
Can’t get a fire started due to the pouring rain or wet kindling and don’t mind using some of your midnight snacks? Your best choice in this situation is to:
- Get a handful of Doritos
- Pile them together
- Light them up with your lighter or matches
- Add dry wood as necessary to get the fire blazing
4. Make Colored Fire For A Distress Signal
One way to get the attention of rescuers is to change the color of your campfire, of course it is best used with more wood on the fire for a larger flame, along with a different color for your current background.
- A red flame will do good on a green background
- A green flame will be no good on a green background
You’re also more likely to be found when in open terrain.
Red is the international distress signal, however any color will do the trick.
Your time is very limited and all time you have is precious. So think fast, act in a calm matter and you will do good.
I found the perfect guide for different colors, here it is.
5. All Night Wood-Burning Campfire
If you like the idea of a self-burning campfire that’s capable of burning for 14+ hours then I have got a great hack for you.
This self-feeding campfire hack is not from me, but designed and built from a man called Bob Hansler and has his own YouTube channel, if you want to check out all of his videos > click here.
Of course I find this size a bit overkill, you can simply build a smaller version if you don’t have enough time and probably still get up to 7+ hours out of the smaller version.
Here’s the video.
6. A Cooking Tripod
A cooking tripod is one of the most helpful cooking equipment’s out there, in regards to the outdoors (that’s what I think anyway).
The beauty of this piece of equipment? You can make one on-the-go while you are out in the wilderness, great for someone who is lost and trying to survive.
Here’s how to make one:
- Get 3 long sticks (roughly 2 inches in diameter and 2 meters long
- Put them in a tripod position and use some cordage (vines, rope, weeds) to tie it together at the top
- If you have no cordage you can eliminate the need for it by simply grabbing 3 sticks with a “Y” shape and wedge the tops together
- You will HAVE to use cordage to hang your pots from the tripod for cooking though
Camping is a great journey to embark on, even better (and safer) with friends and family.
One tip I can give you – for ANYONE who decides to mission on into the wilderness, you need to always be prepared for anything, meaning you should always take a type of ingredient to change your campfire color in case you need a distress signal, even if it’s just 1, that can make a huge difference if you ever need to use it.
My favorite hack is the tripod cooking, good for people that enjoy hearty camping meals, yet like a more hands-off cooking approach 😀 😀 😀
More time to have fun in the great outdoors!
If you found this article helpful please leave a comment below and tell me what you think.